Self

Self

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Entrelac, Tattoos, and Tomato Plants

Yes sir, now I have tattoos too. I received three of them yesterday. They are used for body mapping to locate the exact spot where I am to receive radiation. I will begin treatments on Monday and will have one every day for four weeks. Hopefully I will then be rid of Hodgkin's disease and cancer free. I'm looking forward to having a normal life once more with plenty of energy to run and sing and dance; like a young girl going on her first date. The difference is, I want to garden, knit, play with my granddaughter, enjoy my family, and be able to travel.

Tuesday I signed up for an entrelac class and was shown how to knit the first triangles so I could have my homework (the first row) before class begins tonight. We are making a gorgeous stole using Nora's Silk Garden Lite yarn. I chose colorway 027, beautiful blues and browns. I've been wanted to learn entrelac for some time now so the classis a way for me to 'do it' and stop procrastinating. Plus, it's being offered my FYS and will be a treat to knit along with the other ladies. If I remember to take my camera tonight I'll take a photo of the stole the shop has on display.

I've had a couple of e-mails from my upstream partner in the No Sheep Secret Pal Skein Exchange. She sent a nice e-mail telling me about herself and her family, I have to do the same for my downstream pal. Some of the new non-wool fibers on the market are so beautiful. I'm looking forward to this exchange and plan to get my first downstream package off next week. This is a two package exchange – fun!

This morning I put out some pepper plants and planted tomato plants in the garden while DH power washed the decks in preparation of opening the pool next week. I've been test growing the tomatoes in a big pot in the sunroom, then on the deck to see if an early start inside will produce tomatoes before July 4th. There are blooms now but will have to wait and see what the transition does to them. There are a few ripe strawberries in the patch that we put in this spring and the Vidalia Sweet onions are beginning to show growth. There are a few beans blooming, need to plant more, and want to plant okra, Speckled butter-beans and Crowder peas (I'm a Georgia Girl). I will buy a couple of squash plants, only enough to make squash pickles – oh, they're so good on a roast beef sandwich or with a vegetable dinner, and I'll buy a couple of cucumber plants because they too will produce more than the two of us will use. I'll share with my daughter and our neighbors if there is extra, generally there is.

Last week I put up the hummingbird feeder and late in the afternoon sat on the porch knitting, having a glass of wine and watched the hummingbird zip back and forth from the feeder to the crepe myrtle trees. They are always so active at that time of day making their preparations for the night. So far I've only seen the one but others will come as the weather gets warmer. It was such a thrill to have baby Eastern Bluebirds in our boxes this year. It would really be a thrill to find a hummingbird nest and see how tiny the little creature must be before it leaves it's nest.

We've put in another bed for perennials and now have to fill it with plants. So much to do and enjoy each spring but never enough time to accomplish it. How do I chose between all the things I love. My days are getting longer as I try to crowd something more in each day. I like getting up early and having coffee as the birds wake up and begin chirping. Lo, life is good ain't it.

5 comments:

Nancy @ the Jersey Shore said...

I hope your treatments are successful, and you can do those things you want to! Have fun with the entrelac, I recently learned (you can see it on my blog, scroll down a few posts if you want to)to do it, and now all those confusing directions make sense!!

Anonymous said...

Mom: How is that shrub we transplanted making out? My Lanatana look beau-ti-ful and I planted that perennial you gave me and he looks fine, but the portulaca's not looking so great. I thought they were real hardy and maybe they are, but the soil was really loose - maybe too many air pockets. They look rained on ... all the time.

Boulder Knitter said...

Sorry to hear you have to do radiation - To me the hardest part was having to go every day for a few seconds of treatment. Sounds like you yard is getting prettier every day - nothing like fresh vegetables and the flowers all in bloom. Donna B.

Jane said...

Sending good wishes and prayers along to you!
Hugs,
Jane

Crafty Canadian said...

Tattoos eh? I had no idea they did that. Well, on the plus side, tattoos are all the rage, did they at least give you some cool design?

It must be nice to be enjoying nice spring weather and to have ripe strawberries already. Things are just starting to green up in my neck of the woods. We had snow on Thursday!

Good luck on Monday.
Stacey
(Spring Felted Bag Exchange)

Counter

free web counter

Cardigan

Cardigan
DH'S Cardigan

Ruffled Shawl

Ruffled Shawl
Knitted Prayer Shawl with Crochet Ruffle

Knitting Class

Knitting Class
Teaching Co-workers to Knit

Wave & Shell Shawl

Wave & Shell Shawl

Plum WIne (SDB-Iris) 04/01/07

Plum WIne (SDB-Iris) 04/01/07

Chemo Hat

Chemo Hat
Chemo Hat

Chemo Hat

Chemo Hat
Peaches & Cream Yarn

Felted Hats

Felted Hats
Gray Hat Before Felting

Felted Hat

Felted Hat
Gray Hat After Felting

Baby's Hat

Baby's Hat
Dariana's Hat

ExchangeLinks