Self

Self

Monday, January 28, 2008

My Favorite Yarn Store and A New Project on the Knitting Needles

Gosh, as if I didn't already have enough projects started I just had to have one more.

Actually, I am taking the Sweater Class from Lettuce Knit as a way to introduce someone from my Tuesday night knitting to MFYS. As you remember our LYS was recently sold and moved closer into the village; it has not been easy for the Tuesday night group to make the change, new owner, different ideas, different 'community of knitters' etc, etc. Our group never knows from one week until the next exactly what to expect and while each of us wants to support the shop and new owners, we don't feel comfortable. Most of the ladies in our group were taught to knit by the previous owner and felt a loyalty to her. They seldom went anyplace else to purchase yarn and knitting supplies; or to take a class offered by anyone else. I, on the other hand moved into the community having never been in this shop except once before our move. I was taught to knit by my sister many years ago and I had access to a number of yarn stores. I love visiting them all and do, but my true loyalty remains at Lettuce Knit where the ladies working there are really phenomenal. They are ever on the ready help you whether it is to select some beautiful yarn, work on a problem, teach you a new technique. or if there is time just chat with you. Most of the chatting in this shop is done while the staff is helping customers. Its a busy place and a wonderful place, that has a large group of loyal customers.

Anyway, as I was saying, I am taking their Sweater class with one of the ladies from my Tues. night knit group. I wanted to show the group what they are missing by not venturing out to the other shops within driving distance and seeing the yarns, patterns, and talent that can be had by shopping around. I must say, my friend was very impressed with Lettuce Knit.

To begin with, the sweater class started a week ago yesterday and here we were asking to begin a week later. Most shops wouldn't take the time to help two additional people choose a pattern (a choice of about ten patterns from the beginner to the experienced), choose yarn, and knit a swatch on a busy Saturday afternoon. It didn't phase these ladies although they were extremely busy all afternoon and, their 'new customer' didn't loose sight of this. In fact she was rather thunderstruck when a lady came in and saw some yarn she wanted but the shop was one skein short of what was needed. What did the proprietor do? She got on the phone and made a couple of calls. She was able to located the same color and same dye lot and arrange for it to be mailed from about a two hour drive away. Needless to say, she had a 'pleased customer', the lady buying the yarn, and an 'impressed' customer, my friend.

This wasn't the only thing that my friend didn't miss. She saw several customers come in and ask for help with something they were working on, she saw their patience taken with a new knitter struggling to learn her stitches, and another lady 'sitting to knit' just to have the relaxing atmosphere of the yarn shop. She saw them take out several rows of knitting for someone and get that person started back on the right road. These things never happened at our LYS. This is a small shop with barely room to walk down a center isle and between tables of yarn up and down the store, yet they are forever gracious to the customers who come in with 'extras' in toe and wonder around just to feel the luscious yarns and see the vivid colors. Never once was any frustration shown when a large skein of previously purchased yarn was brought in to be wound and had to be untangled numerous times during the winding. It was a typical day for my FYS but fascinating for my friend to witness.

Back to the project I chose. It is a simple sweater/coat pattern from Nashua's Theatre series. I'm knitting it in Rowan's Cocoon, color alpine. Its a gorgeous pearl grey and its ever so soft. Cocoon is a new line of yarn at Rowans and the content is 80% Merino and 20% Mohair. It is a scrumptious feeling yarn that knits up to about 3 sts per inch on size 11 needles. I love the boxy coat look of the jacket and my favorite sleeve length, three-quarters. When I was a teen-ager there were lots of three-quarter length sleeves, very popular, and I've always loved the length. They are long enough to be warm and short enough not to hang into whatever you doing. They are also attractive on people with big arms or very small arms, hiding the above elbow portion that is usually the unattractive part.
Shortly DH and I are off to shop for flooring. There is lots to think about in this arena. I hate carpeting but like wool rugs. DH loves wall-to-wall carpeting 'cause its warm on your feet. We both love real hardwood floors but it is the most expensive when installing after the house has been built; at our age I don't feel the cost of real hardwood flooring is justifiable. I can deal with the new imitation hardwood floorings, DH doesn't like them. Tiles, linoleum, and whatever else is out there is probably not a choice. Stay tuned to find out who wins this round on the flooring.

1 comment:

jopal said...

What a pretty yarn! That will make a great sweater.
I know what you mean about yarn shops. My 2 favs have closed within the last year. There is one right here in town but the it one of those "snooty" yarn stores. Unless you are there to buy $$$$ worth of yarn and take very $$$$ classes they act like you are part of the woodwork. They have a large doberman in the store who constantly sniffs and chacks out the customers. I never feel comfortable in the store and when I have asked questions got very condescending answers.
I thought it was me until I talked to others from town who felt the same way!
I am lucly enough that there are many stores within driving distance and I don't mind driving for better service. I even go to WEBS in MA which is a little over an hour away - but worth the trip!

Counter

free web counter

Cardigan

Cardigan
DH'S Cardigan

Ruffled Shawl

Ruffled Shawl
Knitted Prayer Shawl with Crochet Ruffle

Knitting Class

Knitting Class
Teaching Co-workers to Knit

Wave & Shell Shawl

Wave & Shell Shawl

Plum WIne (SDB-Iris) 04/01/07

Plum WIne (SDB-Iris) 04/01/07

Chemo Hat

Chemo Hat
Chemo Hat

Chemo Hat

Chemo Hat
Peaches & Cream Yarn

Felted Hats

Felted Hats
Gray Hat Before Felting

Felted Hat

Felted Hat
Gray Hat After Felting

Baby's Hat

Baby's Hat
Dariana's Hat

ExchangeLinks