Self

Self

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Oh, Baby, It's Cold Outside!

Today is cold and wet, a day for hot drinks, fires, soup, and knitting but so far I haven't done any of it. We were expecting a bit of snow, and that's what we got, a bit, before it turned to freezing rain, and now rain. DH is under the weather so I trotted out to the shed early this morning and drug snow shovels back to the house and into the garage, just in case. I also scattered a bit of de-icer on the steps, front walk, and back deck just in case. I know....the salt is not a good thing, but neither is a broken leg and a trip to the vet. Maestro is eleven years old now and has a history of being 'fast', we have to watch him on icy areas to keep him from hurting himself.

I worked on a project for the knitting guild this morning, a bus trip to Stitches East in the fall, and I worked on the newsletter for the Iris Society. The morning just kind of slipped away and before I knew it DH was ready for lunch and needed some roughage so we had a big salad rather than soup. I have a pot of chicken and herbs simmering right now, tonight will be chicken and dumplings...yum.

In place of blogging I have a dozen (probably more) other things I should be working on; finishing the Melly bag, not much left to do, the straps are now in place (I decided to do them in solid pink) and the pocket is basted just waiting for the final sew down, and then tossing it into the hot water bath. I also have another Wotton Bag ready except for felting and attaching the handle; both bags can have a bath at once. I've worked a few more rows on the Nicky Epstein's intarsia Jacobean Bag and am finding I enjoy the work but, is it ever slow with all the bobbins hanging from the back. And of course I'm dying to start something more, another vest or sweater I think.
BTW, I forgot to post this beautiful yarn that I received from Amanda a few days ago. It is a 2 ply hand spun Corriedale wool, one from Thelma and one from Stella in beautiful shades of grey, almost browns. Grey is the color for the January yarn exchange. Thank you Amanda, I'd like to send you a note but don't know where to send it. I don't have your e-mail address and am unable to make out the label on the package other than Amanda and Millisville NJ. If you'll let me know how to contact you I will do a proper 'thank-you'.

On Sunday I received a call from a contact in SC that my sister was in the emergency room. I am so thankful that everything is alright but it was a scare in the beginning. It turns out that along with the myeloma she also has atrial fibrillation. Fortunately I was able to get in contact with another sister that is closer in distance and she and her husband went to help out and then on Monday her daughter from Milwaukee flew in to be with her for a few days. I think this was a wake-up call to the rest of our family that this sister doesn't need to be living alone. Now we have to hope the house will sell really soon and she can get moved and be near her daughter. I will worry continuously until her AFib is under control and that sometimes takes a while.

MFYS is starting a sweater class and you work on a sweater of choice to fit your level of knitting. I have a gift certificate from DH for the shop and probably should use it to tackle something that I would normally put off because 'I don't have time to concentrate on anything difficult right now'. Actually I may go by and see what patterns they are making available. The classes are to be held on Sunday afternoons starting this Sunday and this would be the perfect time of year for spending Sunday afternoons knitting and working on a new Sweater.

The spicy chicken broth is calling me. I'll whip up some of my Bisquick dumplings and we will be sitting down for dinner by six o'clock. If DH feels like it maybe we can work in a game of Scrabble after dinner.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ohhh love the yarn great shade of grey...so your going to Stitches East...I want to go to Stitches West the end of next month...

Amanda said...

Hello! Glad you enjoyed the yarn! This is Amanda Page here. My email address is amandapage at gmail . com. My handwriting is abominable, I know. My husband Jeff is buying me a label maker, so the Post Office will have an easier time!

Counter

free web counter

Cardigan

Cardigan
DH'S Cardigan

Ruffled Shawl

Ruffled Shawl
Knitted Prayer Shawl with Crochet Ruffle

Knitting Class

Knitting Class
Teaching Co-workers to Knit

Wave & Shell Shawl

Wave & Shell Shawl

Plum WIne (SDB-Iris) 04/01/07

Plum WIne (SDB-Iris) 04/01/07

Chemo Hat

Chemo Hat
Chemo Hat

Chemo Hat

Chemo Hat
Peaches & Cream Yarn

Felted Hats

Felted Hats
Gray Hat Before Felting

Felted Hat

Felted Hat
Gray Hat After Felting

Baby's Hat

Baby's Hat
Dariana's Hat

ExchangeLinks