Self

Self

Monday, August 6, 2007

Project for WhoDuKnit Finished

Today I knitted my little project for the WhoDuKnit group over on Yahoo. Our July mystery read was Virgin of Small Plains and this month everyone was to devise their own project for the book. The story line is about deceitfulness and how it affects the lives of others; it was actually a very sad story. I'm glad I was able to come up with a project that I hope will add a bit of humor for this group of knitters and mystery readers. Here is a photo of what I made for two of the characters in the story. If you want to know why, you must read the book; it's by Nancy Pickard.

Although this was a bit of a 'silly little project', (a condom amulet) I learned a new knitting technique. I had never done double knitting before and this little amulet was a double knit. It was quick, and it was fun. I will use that technique again soon to make little Dari a new purse and of course this pouch will be hers to play with.

Yesterday I went shopping with my daughter and Dariana for the first time since Dariana has been a part of our family. Melody and I use to shop, shop, shop and I could usually go as long as, or longer than, she could before exhaustion hit. But, for a few years before I started chemo, I wasn't able to walk very much and as the Hodgkin's disease got worse, I could walk less and less. For the last two or three years, I haven't shopped except for necessities. Yesterday we shopped and had a nice lunch and enjoyed Dari. I was exhausted before I left to drive home but it was such an enjoyable time being with my daughter and granddaughter. Melody called tonight to tell me how much fun it was for her and how proud she was to have me to go shop with her like we use to. How sweet it is.

Tomorrow I am going to think about sewing while I knit on my entrelac stole. It has been picked up in so long I will have to find where I left off in the pattern and set my pace again. Once it gets going it is a fun project to knit but the right side triangle will probably make me stumble the first go around. I have so much I want to do, not just knitting, but I'm itching to get out my embroidery and work on something. I've been letting sewing wonder across my mind quite frequently too and even bought some lime green fleece and a jacket pattern, zipper, and thread when I was in the fabric store last week. And I've been toying with the idea of learning appliqué. I love appliqué on children's clothes and on kitchen linens. I have done a bit many years ago but would like to learn to do it well and use it on some pants and dresses for Dariana.

DH is working on his iris beds, making new beds, digging, dividing, moving, and replanting. I would like to help him more but the sun is too brutal for me right now. Tomorrow the temperature is supposed to be 100° and even now, at midnight, the humidity is unbearable outside. Tonight when I took my water exercise the pool was warm like a bath in wintertime. Maestro loved it and I must have floated him on my arm for over thirty minutes; he loves it. Look at him and Dariana. What a sweet pair of angels they make.

2 comments:

picperfic said...

yep...grandchildren are the best but Maisie is my youngest child! :)

Anonymous said...

Based on this blog entry, I joined the Whoduknit at yahoo. I came across your blog on the SP11 participants site, so now we have several things in common so far, knitting, books, and SP11, or is that one thing . . . knitting?

Counter

free web counter

Cardigan

Cardigan
DH'S Cardigan

Ruffled Shawl

Ruffled Shawl
Knitted Prayer Shawl with Crochet Ruffle

Knitting Class

Knitting Class
Teaching Co-workers to Knit

Wave & Shell Shawl

Wave & Shell Shawl

Plum WIne (SDB-Iris) 04/01/07

Plum WIne (SDB-Iris) 04/01/07

Chemo Hat

Chemo Hat
Chemo Hat

Chemo Hat

Chemo Hat
Peaches & Cream Yarn

Felted Hats

Felted Hats
Gray Hat Before Felting

Felted Hat

Felted Hat
Gray Hat After Felting

Baby's Hat

Baby's Hat
Dariana's Hat

ExchangeLinks