Self

Self

Monday, August 20, 2007

No Sleep For Me

I'm wide awake. For some reason tonight, a zillion things seem to be going through my mind. I hate having nights like this, when the body is tired and denies sleep and the mind is continuously turning over and over, as if it is in a rush to catch up and so is working overtime. I've learned that the best thing I can do, is to DO something, to get up and get busy. Eventually I will become exhausted enough to sleep. Sometimes I just read or knit, but other times I need to do something more physical, like baking cookies or felting a hat at three o'clock in the morning. I know I'm not crazy because I hear too many other women talk about the same problem. Is it gender related or what? I don't hear men talking about being awake half the night, it does make one wonder.

This morning I was up early and at the hospital before 7:30. I had forgotten on Friday to pick up the contrast drink for the scan I was scheduled to have this morning. My appointment was for 11:30 so I knew I'd have time to drink the gunk down at home if I picked it up early; better than sitting in the waiting area for two hours while drinking the stuff. This is the scan that will tell the radiologist and oncologist if the mass from Hodgkin's disease is gone, or if it is still there and not active, or still there and still active (meaning the cancer is still alive). I believe that it is gone this time, a feeling I haven't had before. I will see the radiologist on Friday to learn the results; wish me well.

Tonight I drove into the city to knit with a knot of lady-friends and what fun we had. I worked on my entrelac shawl and enjoyed the oohs and aahs from the knitting group. One lady was knitting on a prayer shawl, one was knitting a throw for her niece to use on her bed at college, one was knitting a winter scarf, and one in the group (having hand problems) was doing Temari (Japanese thread balls). How beautiful they are and what wonderful designs she creates with this craft.

Tomorrow is to be a busy day, and I'm still awake! How will I function? There wasn't anything on the calendar for tomorrow and I'd planned to clean the pool and maybe do some gardening. Early this afternoon I decided I wanted to go to the library in the morning and check on a couple of books I'm interested. I called my neighbor, Sally, and asked if she wanted to ride into the village with me and stop at the Garden Café for coffee. She was delighted saying she has books that need to be returned to the library anyway. So, one thing is now on the calendar. A short while later I receive a phone call from the flooring contractor asking if they could come tomorrow to install the new kitchen and bathroom floors. Something else added to my calendar, then an e-mail from Kathy at the LYS saying the basement was flooded and full of mud again from the storm we had on Thursday night and she and her husband were in the middle of moving the shop from the edge of the village to a shop across from the courthouse. There will be more foot-traffic for the shop and hopefully there will be no more flooding (this is the second time in six months that she's had water damage in the shop's basement). Anyway, to celebrate the move and her introduction to a new line of yarn called Scarlet Fleece, she was invited our old Monday night knit group to her home to knit and jabber tomorrow evening. Of course I can't miss this so it will be a busy, but good, day I think. The pool and gardening are now pushed back for Wednesday.

I got my SP-11 assignment and have made contact with her. I have to get busy now and decide how to spoil her. Perhaps a felted hat would do the job. (Scroll down side bar)

3 comments:

jopal said...

I have nights like that. It seems like my mind just won't shut down and let me sleep! I do the same thing - get up an do something until I am exhausted. It is hard when these nights happen and I have to get up at 530am for work! I end up taking a nap in the afternoon when I get home from work.
I will remember you in my prayers this week and hope your appointment goes well.!

Anonymous said...

Funny, I had one of those nights last night. I thought several times about getting up, but decided it was better to rest even if I couldn't sleep. You'd think after chasing a one year old all day that I'd just fall into bed and zonk!

Maybe being busy today will help you sleep tonight. If not, I'll probably be up with you. I had a million ideas last night for projects!

I don't think it's a gender thing. My hubby has this problem much more frequently than I do. I just think that women are more apt to talk about it than men.

Anonymous said...

I have those nights all the time; I really do think it's a gender thing.

I'll be thinking about you and praying that you get the results you are hoping for. I have a very dear friend who is fighting Multiple Myeloma and know that the battle with cancer is an emotional as well as physical roller coaster!

Take care,
SP :)

Counter

free web counter

Cardigan

Cardigan
DH'S Cardigan

Ruffled Shawl

Ruffled Shawl
Knitted Prayer Shawl with Crochet Ruffle

Knitting Class

Knitting Class
Teaching Co-workers to Knit

Wave & Shell Shawl

Wave & Shell Shawl

Plum WIne (SDB-Iris) 04/01/07

Plum WIne (SDB-Iris) 04/01/07

Chemo Hat

Chemo Hat
Chemo Hat

Chemo Hat

Chemo Hat
Peaches & Cream Yarn

Felted Hats

Felted Hats
Gray Hat Before Felting

Felted Hat

Felted Hat
Gray Hat After Felting

Baby's Hat

Baby's Hat
Dariana's Hat

ExchangeLinks