Self

Self

Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Local Knitting Now That Labor Day Has Come and Gone

On Sunday DH, Maestro, and I packed our bags and went to a nearby park with lots of walking trails for a out-of-the-bag lunch and a nice little hike; my first hike since the chemo. I used the bag that Jennifer http://www.whatididatschooltoday.com/ made for me during the Spring Felted Bag Swap to carry our lunch and my knitting, just in case. Surprisingly the park was empty when we arrived, a surprise but a very nice one. The trail we took carried us down a steep bank to the river and along the river, then back up. By the time we got back to the top, there were several baseball and softball games in progress, I'm glad we went early. I was afraid I'd have trouble climbing and I would have to sit it out but since most of the climbing was at the end, I made it back and almost to the car before I HAD TO sit down. Maestro and me sat flat on the grass and waited for DH to fetch the car for us. Maestro is eleven years old and the hike took its toll on him too. We had a thermos of cold water (he likes ice in his drinking water) with us all the way and we we would stop and let him drink and rest and we took his collar and leash off and let him walk with us at his desired pace. He loved it, the freedom and all the smells in the woods. When we got home he zonked out for the rest of the day until late evening when he heard those last scrabble tiles come out of the bag. Then he was up for his routine walk after a scrabble game. We haven't been able to tell how he knows when those last two or three tiles are about to be played, but he does, he never misses.

Yesterday, DD called and asked me to meet her and Dariana at Crate and Barrel to shop for some household items and then for lunch. Since I needed a wedding gift for a wonderful friend's daughter, I had already planned to go shopping on Monday anyway. This meant I could buy a wedding gift and see my tow favorite girls at the same time. Dariana said "We are having an all girls day grandmama." She is such a precocious two year old and has such a vivid imagination. She is already telling 'pretend stories', yesterday it was about her daddy falling down the stairs and her helping him up by lifting him from under his arms. This was all pretend, daddy has not fallen down the stairs.

I'm expecting my package from LittleKnits today. I can't wait to see some of the yarns I ordered with labels I haven't bought before and then there is the Nora I bought to make a bag with.

We didn't have our knit group last night since it was Labor Day and several of us had things planned with our families. Tonight will be Knit Night at Holly Springs and it will be the first time in the new shop. I do want to try and go; I know most of the regular group of ladies will try to be there and it'll be fun to be with everyone. Kathy is making a lot of changes with her shop besides the physical move and I know its all going to be a big success. Why don't you go over and visit her blog and web-site http://www.hollyspringhomespun.com/ and perhaps order some of her Scarlet Fleece http://www.scarletfleece.com/patterns.php . She is also making a big effort to promote VA grown wools which I complement her on. We have a several local alpacas farms in our county, one farm being about a mile from my home, and Kathy is giving space in her shop to introduce some of these alpaca products. It's amazing what you can find in some small villages. While many yarns shops can't make a go in a large city, Holly Springs seems to be going strong and we have some wonderful little restaurants and a nice Bed and Breakfast in our village.

It's almost noon, time to eat!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful day!

Anonymous said...

sounds like a great day - especially the scrabble part! it's my FAVOURITE board game.

FFBE spoiler

Counter

free web counter

Cardigan

Cardigan
DH'S Cardigan

Ruffled Shawl

Ruffled Shawl
Knitted Prayer Shawl with Crochet Ruffle

Knitting Class

Knitting Class
Teaching Co-workers to Knit

Wave & Shell Shawl

Wave & Shell Shawl

Plum WIne (SDB-Iris) 04/01/07

Plum WIne (SDB-Iris) 04/01/07

Chemo Hat

Chemo Hat
Chemo Hat

Chemo Hat

Chemo Hat
Peaches & Cream Yarn

Felted Hats

Felted Hats
Gray Hat Before Felting

Felted Hat

Felted Hat
Gray Hat After Felting

Baby's Hat

Baby's Hat
Dariana's Hat

ExchangeLinks