Self

Self

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Spring Felted Bag Exchange Questionnaire

QUESTIONNAIRE FOR FELTED BAG EXCHANGE

1. How long have you been knitting or crocheting? How did you learn.
My sister taught me to knit about 35 years ago. I knitted for a year or so and then off and on whenever someone needed new booties until about 3 years ago. When I picked up my needles this time, I kept knitting.

2. What are your favorite yarns to knit\crochet felted bags with?I haven't tried a great many yarns for felting. I have had very good results with Brown Sheep's' 'Lamb's Pride' and 'Nature Spun' wools but they take a bit longer to felt than some of the others. Cascade 200 knits up and felts quickly but doesn't give as steady a bag as some of the other yarns. Patons Classic Merion Wool makes a nice weight felted bag, felts rather quickly and holds up well but can pill. Knit Picks Peruvian Wool felts well and knits up nicely but can't speak for it long term. Elann's Peruvian Highlands Wool comes in lots of gorgeous colors, knits up well and felts well but may take an extra cycle in the wash – and – there isn't an extra inch in their balls so make sure you buy at least what a pattern calls for and an extra ball is not a bad idea. Overall I'd probably say Brown Sheeps, Elann's, and Patons are my favorites.

3. What are your favorite needles to knit\crochet with?
I am probably more of a needle snob than a yarn snob; I love good needles and like to try every kind available. Suzanne's Ebony Circulars is one of my favorites, then the Skacel Addi Turbos and Crystal Palace now has a very fine bamboo circular needle out. But, I must say, one of my very favorite is one of the most inexpensive needles on the market and that is the Bylene needles put out by Boyle. They have a sharp point, are lightweight and somewhat flexible, good for arthritic hands and arms.

4. What are the last 3 bags you knitted\crochetted (include URL for Yahoo! or flickr album or your blog if you have them!)? You can also link to patterns if you don't have pictures of your finished objects!
Gosh, the last bag I knitted was for my two year old granddaughter, an Easter purse out of white eyelash and acrylic yarn, no pattern, and it is posted on my blog, http://agardeningknitter.blogspot.com/ . The week before that I knitted a bag for my niece which I haven't posted yet but will post on my blog this week as well as on the Bag-A-Holic's web site. The third bag back was for ITE-III and it is posted on by blog on March 28th, as well as the Bag-A-Holic's web site. There are some this and that bags also on the Bag-A-Holic web site at http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/Bag-A-Holic/photos/browse/5ce5?m=l listed in June's album.

5. Do you carry the bags that you make, give them as gifts, or both?
Both.

6. What is your favorite felted bag that you have made for yourself?
Probably the first one I ever made, it is pictured on my blog. I still use it.

7. What are your favorite colors? Do you like bags in these colors or choose other colors? I love color and I also love a combination of two complementing colors such as black & white, grey & white, and navy & white put together.

8. Chocolate: White, Milk, Dark, or not so much?
Not so much. I'm more of a 'fruity' person, coconut, peanut butter, etc. Of the chocolates white, milk, or dark, I probably like them equally.

9. Coffee, Tea, or Milk?
Coffee, tea, then milk. Just plan good coffee, no flavors and Earl Grey or English Breakfast type teas. I do like Jasmine tea but I don't care for the herb or flavored teas.

10. Do you prefer sweet or salty treats? What kinds?
Oh, salty most definitely. Cheeses, nuts, crackers, chips, and mixes; you know, the fattening kinds of snacks.

11. If you went into Bath and Body Works and could only come out with one item, what would it be and what would it smell like?
Probably a good soap, lotion, or shampoo. I'm not into wearing fragrance very much. The smell would be fresh and clean and not heavy at all.

12. Do you enjoy any other crafts or hobbies? Do you collect anything?
I knit, garden, and read. I enjoy baking and cooking and I crochet, cross stitch and sew a bit.

I have a collection of Waterford crystal and use to collect teacups and teapots, and the Byers Choice Christmas Caroler Dolls. Now I'd rather give these things away rather than collect them.

13. Are there any bag patterns you have not yet knit, but hope to someday?
Lots of them. The Plentiful Pocket Tote, http://internationaltotexchangeiii.blogspot.com/ (March 21), and also one of the entrelac bags.

14. What is currently OTN (on the needles) for you?
Chris Bylsma's Crayon Box Jacket, and Lily Chin's Central Park Ribbed "CONVERTIBLE" Coat.

15. What is your most recent finished object before that?
Besides the purses I was working on, a ladies vest .

16. What's cutest: Puppies, Piggies or Pixies?
Puppies, I love them, especially Lhasa Apso's and Spaniels.

17. Do you enjoy reading? Books, Magazines, or both?
Both

18. Do you have any children? (kid-kind or pet-kind apply!)
A daughter, married with a daughter; a son, unmarried; and a Lhasa Apso named Maestro.

19. What are some of your favorite yarns for other projects?
I love soft and not scratchy yarns. If I'm going to wear it, I prefer it to not be wool or heavy cottons. I love trying any of the new fiber yarns.

20. And for the final question, one I see debated all over: Novelty Yarn: Love it! Hate it! or It depends!For the most part I don't like novelty yarns although I do think they have their place as an accent or way to embellish an item in some cases. I wouldn't say I hate them but I don't care to use or wear them much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm seeing a theme - there's about five of us who want to make the entrelac bag - maybe we should have a KAL! Thanks for getting this posted!

Counter

free web counter

Cardigan

Cardigan
DH'S Cardigan

Ruffled Shawl

Ruffled Shawl
Knitted Prayer Shawl with Crochet Ruffle

Knitting Class

Knitting Class
Teaching Co-workers to Knit

Wave & Shell Shawl

Wave & Shell Shawl

Plum WIne (SDB-Iris) 04/01/07

Plum WIne (SDB-Iris) 04/01/07

Chemo Hat

Chemo Hat
Chemo Hat

Chemo Hat

Chemo Hat
Peaches & Cream Yarn

Felted Hats

Felted Hats
Gray Hat Before Felting

Felted Hat

Felted Hat
Gray Hat After Felting

Baby's Hat

Baby's Hat
Dariana's Hat

ExchangeLinks